Protecting, supporting and enhancing the

lives of children, women and families.



Resource Center

Prevention & Training Events

Reporting Abuse

What To Do If a Child Discloses

What if...?  Cards






Reporting Abuse - HOW TO FILE A REPORT

A parent or a professional who works with children is commonly the first person to whom a child discloses abuse allegations. It is your duty to report any allegation of abuse. Follow these steps to ensure you have appropriately reported any allegations:


·       If the child is in immediate danger, dial 911.


·       As a parent, understand your child’s real and emotional need for your support.
    Statistics suggest a child’s resiliency is directly related to parental support.


·       As an educator or medical professional, understand and follow your school or
    clinic’s policy for filing a report. Always follow up to ensure a report was made!


·       Contact your local Child Protection Services: 1-877-244-0864 (in South Dakota).
    Intake Specialists will be available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.


·       If reporting an emergency situation before 8 a.m., after 5 p.m., on the weekends,
    or during a holiday, please contact your local law enforcement.


·       For a listing including all states, visit:


·       If appropriate, Child Protection Services or Law Enforcement will contact a Child
    Advocacy Center near you to schedule an interview.



       To Report Child Abuse      
Call 1-877-244-0864

Connect with us!

    Become a fan



Children's Home Society
PO Box 1749
801 N Sycamore Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57101-1749